Wednesday 12 November 2008

First post

Firstly let me say that I was slightly reticent to set this blog up. Blogs, I believe are generally rather self indulgent pieces of propaganda, only of interest to those actually writing them (though having said that, I'm bored and LOVE writing so bring it on!). Let's face it, I'm not the first person to move 300 miles from home, get married, start a new job and do her third London Marathon in the space of 5 months (to give you a flavour of what future posts might include). Or maybe I am?

So it is with reluctance that I begin to chart my journey, at the insistence of my gorgeous friends who treated me to the most fantastic and delicious farewell lunch on Sunday. And how things have changed since then..

We drove through the night on Sunday/Monday. Ok Nick drove. He is a night owl and decided it would be far less stressful to drive the potentially 6 hour journey starting at 10pm rather than fight it out the next morning in the hellish London/Bristol traffic. There was nothing on the roads and it was a smooth journey punctuated with a few double espressos and a box of mini macaroons I had bought from Paul earlier that day.

The moon got bigger and paler the further west we went and eventually sunk beneath Dartmoor at about 3am. We arrived at around 4.15am. Mission accomplished!



3 observations since moving to Cameltoe:

1. There are very few actual Cornish people here. Most I've spoken to are emigrants, the nice lady in the fruit and veg shop who moved from Reading 20 years ago and reluctanty returns occasionally to visit family, the carpenter who came to measure the flat for storage units who also used to live in Berkshire; my lovely friends Gill and Jon who so kindly fed me up with apple pie yesterday (and are from Worcestershire). It's reassuring that I'm not the only one.

2. It's spectacularly freezing. I think I underestimated the difference between living in a small flat surrounded by fifty others and living in a slightly larger flat on a hill surrounded by nothing but open countryside and cold winds. Subsequently, I am wearing two t-shirts, a cardigan, a fleece, jeans, slipper socks and uggs. And I have the heating on.

3. It hasn't quite hit me yet. I feel like I'm on holiday and will at some point have to step through the door in the air (sorry - keep forgetting I'm not actually in Narnia) and back to Paddington station and real life. Maybe my first day at work tomorrow will go some way towards changing that...

2 comments:

Jules99 said...

woo - I'm your first follower! (how creepy)

Glad you got there safely & thanks for great first post - keep them coming!
J xx

Lazza said...

more please. hope you are still wearing your 'I heart London' tshirt.
L xx